Geographic reach of FGCs?

JointDecisions

Geographic reach of FGCs?

Post by JointDecisions » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:43 am

Good day from a relatively new member to this discussion forum!

I am based in the East Midlands and have been involved in enabling families through FGCs since 2011. I am currently trying to set up as an independent practitioner, but it seems to me that the interest for Family Group Conferences declines the further north one travels through England.

I am interested in gaining a wider view on my observation and would welcome all responses.

Thank you.

Sean Haresnape

Re: Geographic reach of FGCs?

Post by Sean Haresnape » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi there
We have been completing an audit of FGC practice now for a few years. Here are some of the key findings:

The Growth of Family Group Conference use in England and Wales
There has been a significant expansion in the number of child welfare FGC services in recent years.
• 1992 - FRG introduce FGCs into the UK in 6 social service departments representing 3% of all local authorities
• 1999 - 61 projects nationally representing 34% of all local authorities
• 2001 - 67 projects nationally representing 38% of all local authorities
• 2011 - 68% of local authorities in England had some form of FGC service and 7% were considering setting up a service .
• 2015 – 76% of local authorities in England run or commission an FGC service, a further 8% spot purchase FGCs and 3% are considering setting up a service

A small number of projects have significantly grown
Recent audits of FGC practice nationally show that a number of local authorities have significantly expanded their FGC practice putting it central to their work with families where there are child protection concerns. According to information provided to Family Rights Group , 4 local authorities collectively are delivering FGCs to over 3,750 children per year where there are child protection concerns.

The growth is however variable
Yorkshire & Humberside 12
West Midlands 12
East Midlands 7
East of England 9
South West 11
South East 17
North West 15
North East 4
London 29
Total 116
% 76%

We will be updating our audit soon so will publish information when available
Cheers
Sean

JointDecisions

Post by JointDecisions » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi Sean,

Thank you for this information; most interesting.
I would like, via this forum, to flag my interest in and availability to coordinate Family Group Conferences in the North Leicestershire / South Nottinghamshire / South Lincolnshire areas, and am happy to discuss this with anyone seeking the services of a freelance coordinator.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
David.

JointDecisions

Post by JointDecisions » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Hello!
I'm interested to know if there has been any update to the audit mentioned in the post dated Mon Feb 08, 2016, and if so what this shows in terms of the geographic reach of FGCs.
Thank you.
Kind Regards, David.

JointDecisions

Post by JointDecisions » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:29 am

Good morning Sean at the rest of the forum!

Regarding this thread, I wondered if there was any update to the audit numbers available please?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
David.