FGC Research

Mthoko Ngobese

FGC Research

Post by Mthoko Ngobese » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi Everybody

I'm a PhD student at Nottingham Trent University. I'm doing research looking at using the FGC model in partnering with families to prevent child maltreatment - in short I'm looking at FGCs in the child protection arena and the role of the family. I'm looking at both the process and the outcome of FGCs to prevent child maltreatment. The question that comes to mind when children are harmed is why couldn’t the rest of the family protect them, who else knew and why they didn’t act to protect the children? The research looks at the role of the family as partners in the prevention and addressing of child maltreatment. Research often shows that child abuse and maltreatment is more likely to happen inside the family than outside it, research also shows protective factors are often within the family. Whilst the statistics are acknowledged; this research moves from a premise that we are protecting children in partnership with families not from their families and that protecting children is the ultimate goal. We believe the family is the main hub for the protection of children.

I'm trying to explore if there is any project that would be able to host me to do research with them. I'm looking for no more than 3 families for this research. Participants will be invited to meet with myself at least 3 times for the duration of the study: 1) after the referral has been made, 2) after the initial FGC and 3) after the review FGC. I will interview participants and if the family agree for me to attend a FGC as an independent observer. As this involves interviewing children, parents or guardians will need to give consent to their children to attend with an advocate if necessary. Each interview will take a maximum of two hours. I will travel to where they are.

I have supporting documentation to explain my research further which I will share with a project that is willing to help me with my research.

Thanking you in advance for your support in this regard

Mthoko Ngobese (PhD Student)
mthokozisi.ngobese2014@my.ntu.ac.uk
Last edited by Mthoko Ngobese on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JointDecisions

Re: FGC Research

Post by JointDecisions » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Dear Mthoko,

I am afraid that I am not able to assist with your request, but do want to encourage you in your research, particularly as I am located not too far away from Nottingham.
I wish you all the best.

Kind regards,
David.