How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Care order

A care order is a court order that places a child in the care of children’s services. It normally lasts until the child reaches 18, unless the court discharges (i.e. ends) the order before then.

A care order is made under Section 31 of the Children Act 1989. A care order cannot be made for a young person who is aged 17. It also cannot be made for a young person who is 16, if they are married.

The court can only make a care order if it is satisfied that:

  • The child is suffering, or is likely to suffer, significant harm.
  • And that harm is due to the care the child is receiving at home, or to the child being beyond the parents’ control.

A care order:

  • Requires children’s services to arrange accommodation for the child (e.g. with foster carers or in residential care) and to promote the child’s welfare.
  • Gives children’s services parental responsibility, which they share with the parents (or whoever else has parental responsibility). When making any decision about the child, children’s services must consult with the parents, and find out their wishes. However, children’s services will have the final say.
  • Children’s services must draw up a care plan, which is a detailed plan setting out all the arrangements for the child’s care. This will include where they will live and family contact arrangements. It will also set out all the help and support that will be provided to meet the child’s needs (including their education, health and development).

For more information see our advice pages on:

Care (and related) proceedings

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now