Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Filter by Custom Post Type

Children’s guardian

When a child is involved in care or emergency protection proceedings, the court will ask Cafcass to appoint a children’s guardian.

Their job is to represent the interests of the child and make sure that whatever decisions the court takes are in the child’s best interests.

All children’s guardians are experienced social workers. They are independent and do not work for children’s services or for the court.

The children’s guardian will:

  • Appoint a solicitor to represent the child
  • Advise the court on what needs to be done before it can take a decision on the child’s future
  • Check the care plan
  • Tell the court what they think is best for the child.

When children’s services have applied for a care order or an emergency protection order, the court will always ask Cafcass to appoint a children’s guardian.

If there is an application for a child arrangements order or a special guardianship order, the court may decide to appoint a guardian if the case is complex.

Our funding means we can currently only help 1 in 3 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now