Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Filter by Custom Post Type

Complaints officer

A complaints officer works for children’s services and investigates complaints. They are sometimes referred to as a complaints officer.

By law, every local authority has to appoint a complaints officer. They should not be involved in day-to-day work with children and families.

The complaints officer might arrange meetings with the person who made the complaint. This may help to sort things out on an informal basis in the first instance.

The requirement to appoint a complaints officer is set out in the Children Act 1989 Representations Procedure (England) Regulations 2006.

For more information see our advice pages on:


Our funding means we can currently only help 1 in 3 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now