How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Disability living allowance

Disability living allowance is a state benefit. It is paid to the parents or other carer of a disabled child who needs help with:

  • Daily living tasks (such as washing, dressing, eating, etc.)
  • Getting around (i.e. because they find walking difficult or cannot walk).

How much a family gets will depend on how much help the child needs.

Disability living allowance is not means tested. This means how much a family receives will not be affected by how much they earn. It will also not be affected by any savings they have.

No-one over the age of 16 can make a new claim for disability living allowance. This is because personal independence payments have replaced disability living allowance for over-16s. This is being done on a ‘roll-out’ basis. People aged 16 to 64 may be able to claim a personal independence payment.

Any child currently receiving disability living allowance can apply for a personal independence payment when they reach 16.

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now