How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). For Textphone dial 18001 followed by the advice line number. Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Personal health budget

A personal health budget is a sum of money allocated by the NHS. It can be used by someone with a disability or long-term illness towards treatment, equipment or personal care.

Anyone who is receiving ‘continuing health care’ has the right to ask for a personal health budget. This includes children and young people.

The amount of money will be agreed between the NHS and person who needs continuing health care. In the case of a child, the sum is agreed with their parents or carers. This funding will be part of the person’s long-term healthcare plan.

‘Continuing health care’ is not defined in law. For adults, it generally means health and personal care that is paid for by the NHS but provided outside of hospital. For example in the home or in the community.

For a child, the situation is slightly different. Most of a child’s day-to-day care will be provided at home by their family. So ‘continuing health care’ will also mean support provided to the child and family by children’s services and education, as well as the NHS.

At present, a child with an education health and care plan does not have an automatic right to a personal health budget. However, national guidance encourages Clinical Commissioning Groups (the NHS bodies responsible for organising local health services) to extend personal health budgets to other groups of patients (i.e. not just those receiving continuing health care). This includes children and young people who have an education, health and care plan.

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now