How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Who must agree to the plan for contact, for a child in care looked after under a voluntary arrangement?

There is a legal duty on children’s services to ‘as far as is reasonably practicable’, to agree the arrangements for contact with the person who is agreeing to the care plan.

A person can only agree the care plan for a looked after child if they are:

  • A person who has parental responsibility for them
  • The last person caring for the child immediately before they became looked after
  • The child and are 16 of 17 and the plan is being agreed directly with them.

See Regulation 4 of the Care Planning, Placement and Case Review (England) Regulations 2010.

Once the arrangements have been agreed the next step are that:

  • Children’s services must record the contact arrangements in the child’s care plan and placement plan
  • These plans should be prepared before a placement begins
  • If it is not possible for these plans to be drawn up, then the placement plan should be made within five working days (see regulation 9 of the Care Planning, Placement and Case Review (England) Regulations 2010). And the full care plan within 10 working days of the placement starting (see regulation 4 )
  • Copies of the care plans must be given to the parents, the child, anyone else with parental responsibility and other relevant people (see regulation 6(3)
  • If there are care proceedings, the timetable for preparing the care plan will be set by the Family Court instead (see regulation 4(2)). The initial care plan for the child (the interim plan) must be provided to the court when children’s services make their application to start the care proceedings. The court will need to approve the care plan for the child
  • It may be helpful to politely remind the child’s social worker and independent reviewing officer what government statutory guidance says that where a child is in a voluntary arrangement, contact is: “a matter for negotiation and agreement between the responsible authority, the child, parents and others seeking contact” (this is said in paragraph 2.99 of The Children Act 1989 guidance and regulations: Volume 2: care planning, placement and case review’).

Important note: But the care plan must be agreed with the parent (or other person) with parental responsibility who is agreeing to the child being looked after under a voluntary arrangement. This is because children’s services do not have parental responsibility for the child.

For more information about care plans and placement plans see The Care plans, placement plans and permanence plans for children looked after under voluntary arrangements section.

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now