When can a family group conference take place? Are there situations when family group conferences are commonly used?
2 minute read
Most families need some help and support in caring for their children. Often this is from other family members and friends. Some families may be receiving early help , such as therapeutic support, from a specialist agency. Some may be involved with children’s services in some way. This might be as a child in need or the child protection processes.
A family group conference can be used when any decision needs to be made about any aspect of a child’s life. And the earlier a family group conference takes place, the more likely it can help to stop problems getting worse.
Families should be offered a review family group conference. And another family group conference can take place later, if helpful.
- To create a plan to support parents struggling with raising a child
- When decisions need to be made about where a child is going to live if they cannot stay at home
- To agree contact with the family when a child is in care or being raised by a kinship carer
- When plans are being made for a young person about to leave care, or who has left the care system
- When there are difficulties with a child’s education.