How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only


If a parent is struggling, they may feel unsure about how to find help and support. Where children’s services become involved, parents can feel worried about what this will mean for them and their child.

Our parents pages aim to help you find the information and advice you need.

Our Children’s services page, A-Z and Top tips page are a good place to start

Getting extra help, support and services

Most families need some help to raise their children. Some may help from family and friends. Some may need help from local services. Others may need extra help and support from children’s services. Parents may find our Early help, Child in need, and Family group conferences: advice for families pages useful. They provide easy to follow information and advice about how families can get the extra help and support they need.

Advice about child protection and children in the care system

If children’s services say they are worried a child may not be safe and well cared for at home, parents may feel upset or scared. They may feel unsure about the processes involved. And may not know what their rights and options are.

Whether a child protection conference is about to take place, or children’s services are talking about starting care proceedings. Or your child has come into the care system, our What? pages may help.

Different situations, tailored advice

Click on the blocks below to find the right information for your situation:

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now