How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

What if a child is not making progress, even with SEND support?

If a child has not made the expected progress, even though the school has identified, assessed and provided SEND support, the school or the parents /carer should consider requesting an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment. This replaced the assessment for a statement of special educational needs under the old SEN system. This kind of assessment is needed to work out if a child need special educational provision.

Section 21 of the Children and Families Act 2014 explains that special educational provision is:

‘…educational or training provision that is additional to, or different from, that made generally for others of the same age..’ in mainstream schools or colleges.

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now