What is the impact of drug or alcohol misuse on children?
Under 1 minute read
Substance misuse can affect children in different ways. A child’s:
- Basic needs may be neglected by a parent who is misusing drugs or alcohol
- Physical and mental health may be affected. Children can feel worried, anxious and upset that their parent or carer is drinking too much for example
- School attendance may worsen. They may be worried about leaving their parent or carer alone. Or the child may not have the practical of emotional support to prepare for the school day
- For more information and advice about how children’s services should work with and support young carers, see our frequently asked questions about Young carers
- Own behaviours may become harmful. They may be vulnerable to experimenting with drugs or alcohol at an early age for example.