How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

How does radicalisation happen?

Extremist groups may make use of the internet to encourage people to join them. And to encourage others to follow their beliefs. But radicalisation can happen in different ways. It is a form of child abuse.

It  may involve a child being:

  • Groomed online or in person
  • Exploited including child sexual exploitation
  • Shown violent films, images or writing
  • Put at risk of physical danger through extremist acts
  • Harmed emotionally and psychologically.
  • Voicing opinions drawn from extremist ideology
  • Intolerance of difference whether secular or religious or in line with equalities policy with views on gender, disability, homophobia, race, colour, culture
  • Use of extremist or hate terms to exclude others.

By who?

Some children may be radicalised by someone outside of the family who has influence over them in some way. Or by someone in their peer group. Others may be at risk of being radicalised by family members.


Radicalisation happens bit by bit and over time. This means that often a child may not realise what is happening. Or what they are getting involved in. They may not think they are victims or being harmed.

Preventing radicalisation

The Revised Prevent duty guidance says that local councils should make sure there are clear, robust policies which help them identify children at risk of radicalisation. When assessing risk to children, and in their local area, they must work together with other agencies. This includes working with:

  • Schools, colleges and universities
  • Health services
  • Youth offending teams and probation services.
People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now