Breaking news from Parliament: Kinship Care Bill to be debated
Published: 28th June 2022
2 minute read
Breaking news from Parliament: Liberal Democrat MP Munira Wilson has secured a slot on Tuesday 5th July to debate a new Bill to support kinship carers.
Her Bill would:
- Introduce a single definition of kinship care written into law;
- Provide all kinship carers with a weekly allowance comparable to foster carers;
- Give kinship carers paid time off work when a child starts living with them;
- Support children in kinship care whilst at school, by giving them their first choice of school and by giving their school extra funding.
This is a vital opportunity to raise awareness of kinship carers in Parliament. We need to make our voice heard so that the Government will step up to support kinship carers when they publish their response to the Independent Review on Children’s Social Care later this year.
Can you help us to tell MPs about the debate by emailing your MP this week?
Ask them to:
- Show their support by attending the debate
- Tweet that they support the Bill with the hashtag, #StepUpForKinshipCarers
- Write to the Minister for Children and Families, Will Quince MP, encouraging him to back the Bill.
You can find the name and email address of your MP here. We have included a template email here for you to send. Feel free to edit it by including your own thoughts and experiences about being a kinship carer.
Cathy Ashley (Chief Executive, Family Rights Group) and Munira Wilson MP