How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Important information for kinship carers about Pupil Premium Plus

Published: 8th September 2021

2 minute read

Pupil Premium Plus is additional funding paid to a child’s school. The aim of the funding is to help improve the educational attainment of children. The amount of funding paid is £2,530 per pupil, and this is paid directly to the school.

Pupil Premium Plus is available for children who are looked after or were previously looked after in the care system and are being raised by a kinship carer. This includes under:

It is important that kinship carers raising children who were previously looked after make sure the child’s school is aware that the child is eligible for Pupil Premium Plus.

To ensure the school applies for this funding in time, kinship carers must inform the school that the child is eligible by no later than Thursday 5 October 2023.

How should kinship carers inform the child’s school about their eligibility for Pupil Premium Plus?

Kinship carers can do this by sending the school a copy of the relevant court order. Or by asking the child’s social worker to confirm in writing that the child is looked after, and placed with the kinship foster carer.

For more information about Pupil Premium Plus, please see our website page on Kinship care and support with education. And our advice sheet 2i) The education system in England: Information for kinship carers.

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now