How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). For Textphone dial 18001 followed by the advice line number. Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

This page sets out possible scenarios of how Ukrainian children and young people might have come to live in kinship arrangements in England and any issues that might arise. It outlines the legal position for each scenario, as well as identifying what support might be appropriate and available.

Other scenarios not covered:

It is impossible to cover the whole range of unique situations and circumstances that may arise, and some situations are still emerging. The government website is updated frequently, and in the first instance practitioners should check whether more updated guidance has been added.

The organisations listed here may be able to provide advice or guidance.

The Department of Levelling Up, Housing and Communities is responsible for policy regarding Ukrainian children not living with a parent – they refer to these children as ‘unaccompanied minors’. They can provide operational support to local authorities and therefore specific cases and questions can be escalated. They can be contacted using

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now