Hi, I’m looking for some advice from anyone who has experience of Children’s Services, Section 47 enquiries or safeguarding referrals.
I’m currently subject to a Section 47 enquiry concerning my daughter. I am fully cooperating with Children’s Services and have no objection to my daughter being spoken to, including separately/private if appropriate.
My concern is how the referral has been interpreted and, particularly, the decision to inform my daughter’s father.
The social worker has told me that the Section 47 is largely due to what is on the police dashcam/body-worn footage and that I apparently reported eight previous incidents of “non-fatal strangulation.”
This is where I am very confused.
There was an incident with my partner over two years ago. I accept that there was physical contact during an argument, but I do not recall describing eight incidents as “non-fatal strangulation.” My recollection is that what happened was more akin to a push/physical contact around the neck rather than what I would describe as strangulation.
I am concerned that, during my interaction with the police, terminology may have been put to me or my words may have been interpreted in a way that I did not intend. I did not deliberately make a false allegation or deliberately describe the incident as something it wasn’t. I am now trying to clarify what I actually said and what was recorded.
There has also been no similar incident for over two years, and since then my partner and I have sought help as a couple and worked on our relationship and communication. My partner was recently arrested/involved with police in relation to the current matter but was released without charge and without bail conditions or other restrictions.
I understand that a police decision not to charge does not automatically mean Children’s Services must close a safeguarding enquiry. I also understand why an allegation involving strangulation would be treated seriously. My concern is whether the Section 47 is continuing on the basis of an inaccurate or misunderstood account of what I actually reported, and whether the current safeguarding threshold remains met.
The other issue is my daughter’s father. We have only recently been through contentious family-court proceedings and communication between us is currently very difficult. The social worker has told me that the matter has been through MARAC and that “the decision has been made” to tell him that our daughter is subject to a Section 47.
I am struggling to understand what safeguarding purpose this serves at this stage. I am fully cooperating with Social Care and my daughter can be spoken to. I am concerned that telling her father could reignite conflict and potentially put her in the middle of adult issues.
I’d really appreciate advice on:
1. Can Children’s Services continue a Section 47 where the information underpinning the referral is disputed or may have been inaccurately recorded/interpreted?
2. Should they review the original police information if I am saying that I did not use the terminology attributed to me?
3. Does the fact that the police released my partner without charge or conditions have any relevance to the social-care assessment?
4. Is a parent with parental responsibility automatically required to be told about a Section 47, or is that a case-specific professional decision?
5. Does MARAC actually make the decision to inform the other parent, or would that normally be Children’s Social Care’s decision?
6. Can Social Care speak to my daughter and complete its initial enquiries before deciding what information actually needs to be shared with her father?
I’m not trying to prevent safeguarding enquiries and I’m not saying that historical concerns should simply be ignored. I want the situation assessed on accurate information and current risk, rather than terminology or conclusions that I don’t believe accurately reflect what I reported.
I’d be particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has challenged the accuracy of information contained in a police referral or has had a Section 47 management review.
Who is online
In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 1 minute)
Most users ever online was 87 on Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:20 am