1. Parents’ Forum

Child protection conference

Fox_Sharrd
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2026 9:04 am

Child protection conference

Unread post by Fox_Sharrd » Wed Oct 07, 2026 1:43 pm

Hello,
What information can I request ahead of this?
Can I ask for attendees list and any reports they've made - is there a specific way of making this request,?

Short version:
I've been told there's "risk of neglect" but given no details.
Initial cp meeting made them initiate section 47.

Conference on Monday.
I want my child to have an advocate present ( they are 9)
As I'm not being told anything. I assume I'm the "risk".
However, my child is still in my care - despite police being involved? Obviously not that much of a risk?

Advice required on what I can ask for ahead of Conference.
What can I expect during conference? Questions etc during conference
How should I react?
How long will it last?

(I've worked in a Council office, so unfortunately I've heard the real opinions of SWs that they make behind people's backs - and how they cover it from being found by information requests!)

Should I record the conference for notes later?

In my experience when there is no evidence, usually the "mental health" card is played.

How do I present as a normal person in this abnormal situation?

I would like to be prepared for their standard questions.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 5056
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Child protection conference

Unread post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Oct 08, 2026 11:18 am

Dear Fox_Sharrd

Thank you for your post and welcome to the discussion board. My name is Suzie; I am an online adviser and will be replying to you today. Please note that my response includes hyperlinks (written in blue and underlined) to access more detailed information.

I understand you are due to attend an upcoming Child Protection Conference following a child protection enquiry (section 47 investigation) and what may have been a strategy meeting concluding with a decision to initiate the conference.

Children’s Services' central concern is "risk of neglect," but you have not been provided with specific details or evidence. Your 9-year-old child remains in your care despite police involvement, leaving you confused about the severity of the perceived risk. You want to know your rights regarding obtaining reports, attendee lists, arranging an advocate for your child, and how to effectively prepare for, behave in, and handle the conference.

Police involvement during a section 47 enquiry is standard inter-agency practice and does not automatically mean criminal charges or immediate removal of your child, though Children's Services will still assess potential long-term risks.

Under statutory guidance “Working Together to Safeguard Children 2026” (pages 98-99), parents should receive clear information to support effective planning, and the social worker should share conference information beforehand. Good practice dictates that the social worker’s report be shared with parents at least 2 days prior to the conference. If you have not received this, contact the social worker and their team manager immediately to request the report and an attendee list.

The meeting is chaired by an independent conference chair, who should meet with you beforehand to answer questions and explain the process. Attendees typically include the social worker, health visitor/school nurse, school representative, police officer, and potentially GPs or mental health workers. The conference lasts between 1.5 and 2 hours.

If appropriate and agreed upon by parents, older children should be invited and encouraged to bring an advocate. The social worker should help prepare the child. If your child does not attend, the social worker or advocate must gather and report their views. For details, see our section on Children’s involvement in the child protection process and our Top tips and templates page.

Other involved services will submit reports or share their knowledge, highlighting risks alongside protective factors. Expect questions on how things are going at home, what support you need, and your response to the concerns.

You do not have an automatic right to record the meeting, so ask the chair at the start for permission to make an audio recording or arrange in advance for a trusted friend or professional advocate to take notes.

The meeting will conclude by deciding whether your child needs a child protection plan, a child in need plan, or if concerns are unsubstantiated and Children's Services' involvement should end.

Read more about case conferences here, or watch our fictional conference film here.

To present yourself effectively, stay calm, focused, and centred on your child's wellbeing. If mental health is raised, explain any support you receive (e.g., GP care, counselling) and show how you manage it so it does not affect your child. Demonstrating a willingness to work collaboratively with professionals is key.

Family Rights Group’s guide to working with social workers can be useful in helping you decide how to express yourself and have your voice heard, which you can access here

I do hope this is helpful. If you have further questions or you would like to discuss your situation on more detail it may be beneficial for you to call our free and confidential telephone advice line on 0808 801 0366 (open Mon – Fri, 9.30am – 3pm) to speak to an adviser directly. Alternatively you may want to make use of our webchat service (Mo & Thu 2-4pm).

Best wishes
Suzie

Fox_Sharrd
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2026 9:04 am

Re: Child protection conference

Unread post by Fox_Sharrd » Fri Oct 09, 2026 10:46 am

Thank you for your advice.
As expected the assessment report has come back with info from my family that I'm "paranoid" and "have mental health issues".

Strangely none of these family members have said it to my face? Even one I had been living with previously?
And how was I working self employed and in employment at the time? In hospitality? Surely major paranoia precludes regular customer service working.

And no social worker has actually said this to my face at all?
Is this normal?


Also had unannounced visit when I was at the school parents evening, plus one attempted whilst child at after-school club.

Expecting to have a psychological assessment on myself. Can you give advice on how to prepare?

Considering the police have made some false statements initially - how can I handle this?
I've asked for body-cam footage - been told can't get it

It seems to be a double bind. Anything I say will be written off.

Has anyone else had this technique used on them plus what strategy to use?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 5056
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Child protection conference

Unread post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Oct 09, 2026 1:22 pm

Dear Fox_Sharrd,

Thank you for your update. It is positive that you have received the assessment report.

I understand that it is difficult to read of that have not been verbally expressed to you by family or professionals. You will have an opportunity to talk about the points raised in the report; and put your point of view and correct any inaccuracies at the initial child protection case conference.

The advice from the last post is on how to present yourself at the conference is worth your attention as you prepare. I will repeat it below-

‘To present yourself effectively, stay calm, focused, and centred on your child's wellbeing. If mental health is raised, explain any support you receive (e.g., GP care, counselling) and show how you manage it so it does not affect your child. Demonstrating a willingness to work collaboratively with professionals is key.
Family Rights Group’s guide to working with social workers can be useful in helping you decide how to express yourself and have your voice heard, which you can access here’.

You ask why people perceive you to have mental health difficulties when you have managed to work effectively in a stressful field. Many people who experience mental ill-health hold responsible positions and are also able to be responsive and capable parents.

You are right to draw attention to your strengths. Reflection on how you self-regulate and balance daily demands and stresses will help you to prepare for any psychological assessment. Some people find it useful to make notes or keep a diary.

The Department of Health and Social Care have developed an online resource called Mind Plan to help people to assess their own mental wellbeing and find ways to cope that work for them. You can link to it here.

Family Rights Group have online information about how children’s services should work with parents where there are concerns about possible mental ill health. You can link to this here.

In regard to the matter you raise about police practice – if you do not feel you have had a satisfactory response to your request you could consider making a formal complaint. You can link to information on how to go about this here.

I hope that this is helpful to you, and that you receive some responses from other forum users.

Best wishes,
Suzie

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 1 minute)
Most users ever online was 245 on Tue Oct 06, 2026 2:28 pm