How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). For Textphone dial 18001 followed by the advice line number. Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Legal advice and information

To find a solicitor who specialises in childcare law: you can contact

The Law Society: Find A Solicitor

Run by the Law Society, Find a Solicitor is a free service for anyone looking for information about organisations or people providing legal services in England and Wales that are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).


Solicitors Regulation Authority

The Solicitors Register is a service for checking a solicitor or firm that is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.



Advocate is a charity that finds free legal assistance from volunteer barristers across England and Wales.


Child and Family Law Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS)

CAFCASS is a public body set up to look after the interests of children involved in family proceedings. Works with the children and families and then advises the courts on the child’s best interests. The website has information for adults, children and for young people.


Law Centres Network

The voice of local law centres which provide free independent advice and representation to disadvantaged people who live or work in their catchment area.

The LCN does not employ lawyers and is unable to give advice directly to the public but the site will help you find a law centre nearest to you.



Organisation of solicitors committed to promoting a non-confrontational atmosphere in which family law matters are dealt with in a sensitive, constructive and cost-effective way. You can find a member in your area on their website.


People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now