If a parent or carer feels they can no longer care for their child request a foster placement for them?
Under 1 minute read
Yes, although children’s services may not agree that is best for the child. To make this request a parent or carer would need to:
- Ask for a child in need assessment
- At the same time, explain how serious the problems are
- Explain why the child needs to live elsewhere and what might happen if this isn’t possible.
This is a request for a child to become ‘looked after’ in the care system under a voluntary arrangement. It is very important that parents and carers understand:
- Exactly what this means
- The processes that should be followed
- And the information that must be provided by children’s services in this situation.
See our Children in care under voluntary arrangements (section 20) page for further information and important advice. And for further advice from Family Rights Group about a specific situation, visit our Parents forum.