How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). For Textphone dial 18001 followed by the advice line number. Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

What is meant by drug and alcohol misuse?

Drug misuse may include:

  • Use of illegal drugs. The impact of this varies and will depend on the type of drug and how much is used
  • Misusing prescribed drugs. This may involve someone taking medication prescribed by a doctor even though they no longer need it. Or taking medication even though it is prescribed for another person. It may involve someone taking more than the recommended dose. Or combining medications, against advice
  • Drug dependency. This is when someone becomes reliant on a drug to function day to day.

Alcohol misuse may involve a person:

  • Drinking to excess to the point of being unable to safely care for their child
  • Being dependent on alcohol. For example, needing to drink alcohol just to get through the day.

Sometimes practitioners use the term substance misuse to talk generally about alcohol or drug misuse, or both.

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now