How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). For Textphone dial 18001 followed by the advice line number. Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Independent supporter

An independent supporter is someone who can help and give support to a family when a child is having an education, health and care needs assessment. They can also help while an education, health and care plan is being developed.

The supporter is independent of the local authority. Independent supporters are usually recruited by a local voluntary sector organisation. They will receive training to enable them to act as an independent adviser to families.

Children’s services must make sure families can get impartial information, advice and support. This will ensure they can take part fully in the education, health and care assessment and planning process. Children’s services should provide families with details about local independent supporters or other advice services.

For more information on independent advice services available in your area see:

The Local Offer (for special educational needs and disabilities) on your local authority’s website.

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now