How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). For Textphone dial 18001 followed by the advice line number. Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Disability (including learning disability)

Carers UK

Campaigns for better deals for carers, and provides information on carers’ rights.

Free Helpline: 0808 808 7777 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm)

Contact a Family

UK-wide charity providing advice, information and support to parents of all disabled children.

Free Helpline for parents and families: 0808 808 3555 (Mon-Fri 9.30am-5pm)

Disability Law Service

The Disability Law Service provides legal advice and access to justice for disabled people. They can provide free advice via information, factsheets, training courses and telephone and written advice on the following matters:

  • Community Care Law
  • Employment and discrimination at work
  • Housing
  • Welfare benefits

Telephone: 0207 791 9800

Disability, Pregnancy and Parenthood International (DPPI)

Organisation controlled by disabled parents that promotes better awareness and support for disabled people during pregnancy and as parents. Information and online communities are on the website. Also for families, professionals and interested others.


Elfrida Society

Provides advocacy for parents with learning difficulties in the South East of England.

Telephone: 0207 359 7443

Equality and Human Rights Commission

Government body that works to eliminate discrimination, reduce inequality, protect human rights and to build good relations, ensuring that everyone has a fair chance to participate in society. Gives information and guidance on discrimination and human rights.

Free Helpline – England: 0808 800 0082
Advice website:

Family Fund Trust

The Family Fund gives grants to low-income families in the UK to meet the additional needs of caring for a severely disabled child.

Helpline: 01904 550055 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 5.00pm)


Works across England with people who are vulnerable or marginalised to raise their voices and have their rights respected. They provide a range of services including advocacy.

Telephone: 0300 303 1660

Working Together with Parents Network (WTPN)

This network supports professionals working with parents with learning difficulties and learning disabilities and their children. It provides a UK-wide network for professionals sharing positive practice including four regional groups in England and country-wide networks in Scotland and Wales.

The network publishes a ‘Regional Directory of Services’ that support parents with learning difficulties and disabilities. The directory and a range of resources are available at:

Information and resources of parents are available in this section of their site:

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now