How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

What should happen after a young carers assessment?

The young carer and his/her parents must be given a written record of the assessment afterwards.

Once a local authority has completed a young carer’s needs assessment and probably an assessment of the needs of the person for whom he or she provides care, the authority must then decide what support (if any) it is going to provide to meet those needs.

  • Support could take the form of support provided directly to the young carer and/or support for the person being cared for. It doesn’t matter which as long as it addresses the underlying problem.
  • If support is provided to the young carer, it will be provided by children’s services under their powers to provide support to a child in need
  • If support is provided to the adult they are caring for, it will be under the Care Act 2014.
  • If the person who is being cared for is under 18 years old, the record of the assessment must state whether that child is considered to be a child in need.
People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now