We promote policies and practices that help children to be raised safely and securely within their families.
We are a campaigning organisation in which families' experiences drive all our work. Our research, projects and services guide our agenda for reforming child welfare law and practice.
We host the Kinship Care Alliance which works to enable more children to live safely and thrive within their family network. We lead the work of Your Family, Your Voice – An Alliance working to transform how families' experience compulsory interventions about their children by local authorities and other agencies.
We work with families, academic agencies, professionals and decision makers to:
- Conduct research and produce recommendations, tools and guides on ways of working with families to keep children safe.
- Pioneer family-centred approaches including family group conferences and professional family advocacy that enable families to participate in planning and decision making about their children.
- Develop and promote policies and legislative changes that improve children’s wellbeing.
Our project work includes:
- Developing information and support for mothers experiencing domestic violence and work to support young parents.
- Our fathers matter research and best practice reports have placed us at the forefront in this important area of child welfare and social work practice.
- We are the leading authority on family and friends care. We promote effective ways in supporting children to live safely with relatives or friends, if they cannot live with their parents.
- We are experts in family group conferences. We have led the development of quality standards and we co-ordinate the national Family Group Conference network. We have gathered national and international evidence on the impact and cost effectiveness of this approach. We can provide training and consultancy support to local authorities in setting up and developing accredited family group conference service.
- We are working collaboratively to develop and implement Lifelong Links. Our aim is to build positive lifelong support networks for children in the care system. Funding from the Department for Education Innovation Programme will enable Lifelong Links to be trialled in England from April 2017 for three years. We are also raising funds with the intention that Lifelong Links will simultaneously be trialled in Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland.
- Independent evaluations demonstrate the benefits of our pioneering professional parental advocacy service for families in the child protection process. Local authorities can now commission the service.