How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). For Textphone dial 18001 followed by the advice line number. Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Personal independence payments

Personal independence payments (often known as PIPs) are benefits paid to people to meet additional costs that arise from having a disability or long-term illness. These payments can be made to people between the ages of 16 and 64. These payments were introduced in 2013, and replaced Disability Living Allowance.

How much someone receives depends on how they are affected by their disability. It is this that determines the level of payment, not on the nature of the disability or illness itself.

Personal independence payments are not means tested. This means that how much a person gets does not depend on how much they earn or any savings they have.

Personal independence payments are not payable for children under age 16. However, a parent or carer may be able to make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance for a disabled child if the child is:

  • Between three months and 16 years old and needs extra help with daily living tasks.
  • Aged between three years and 16 years and needs help with their mobility (i.e. help getting around).
People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now