Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Filter by Custom Post Type


Directions are instructions given by the court.

In care proceedings, directions will normally cover such things as:

  • Confirming a timetable for the case. Cases should be completed within 26 weeks. Directions will also be used to set out a schedule of court dates.
  • Instructions about who needs to attend hearings.
  • Whether any other adult who is important to the child should be joined as a party to the proceedings.
  • What documents should be given to any person who is not a party to proceedings but who may, for example, be being put forward as a long-term carer for the child.
  • Whether any expert reports are needed from those with specialist knowledge (e.g. a psychologist or doctor)
  • What needs to be done and by when for the case to proceed to a final hearing including: what additional statements, reports and assessments the court needs, and who should prepare them.

Our funding means we can currently only help 1 in 3 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now