How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). For Textphone dial 18001 followed by the advice line number. Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Local offer for care leavers

Children’s services must publish a ‘local offer’ for all care leavers. They are required to do this by the Children and Social Work Act 2017.

The local offer should set out:

  • The local services for care leavers (in accordance with children’s services’ duties under the Children Act 1989).
  • Any other relevant local authority support or services. For example, anything else which may help prepare care leavers for adulthood and independent living.

These should include services relating to care leavers’:

  • Health and well-being.
  • Education, training and employment
  • Family and social relationships
  • Housing.

Local authorities should support care leavers to participate in society. For example, they should be supported to access necessary identification documents. This includes a National Insurance card, birth certificates, and adoption certificates (if applicable). Care leavers should be assisted to ensure they are registered to vote. They should receive help to set up a bank account. Where their immigration status is not secure, it is necessary to support them with this. This may include supporting them to obtain specialist legal advice.

People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now