How to contact us for advice

Find out more

Telephone Handler
Close form

Our advice service

We provide advice to parents, grandparents, relatives, friends and kinship carers who are involved with children’s services in England or need their help. We can help you understand processes and options when social workers or courts are making decisions about your child’s welfare.

Our advice service is free, independent and confidential.

Telephone Handler

By phone or email

To speak to an adviser, please call our free and confidential advice line 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3pm, excluding Bank Holidays). Or you can ask us a question via email using our advice enquiry form.

Discuss on our forums

Our online advice forums are an anonymous space where parents and kinship carers (also known as family and friends carers) can get legal and practical advice, build a support network and learn from other people’s experiences.

Advice on our website

Our get help and advice section describes the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect. Our webchat service can help you find the information and advice on our website which will help you understand the law and your rights.

Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Personal adviser

A personal adviser is someone appointed by children’s services to provide continuing support and advice to a care leaver. This support can be provided up to age 25. It is to help the young person as they move into adulthood and independent living.

Children’s services have a duty under the Children Act 1989 to make sure that every care leaver has a personal adviser.

The personal adviser’s role is to:

  • Provide advice and support, including in relation to:
    • Education, training, employment.
    • Money and managing finances.
    • Personal development. This will include confidence building and decision-making.
    • Staying healthy, including how to access health services.
    • Taking part in community life and enjoying leisure, sporting or cultural activities.
  • Lead or take part in reviews of the pathway plan.
  • Work with children’s services to implement the care leaver’s pathway plan.
  • Coordinate support and the provision of services to the care leaver. Encourage them to make use of available services.
  • Stay informed about the care leaver’s progress and wellbeing.
People pie chart

Our funding means we can currently only help 4 in 10 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now