Family Rights Group
Cover Your Tracks
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Filter by Custom Post Type

Kinship Care

A kinship carer is a relative, friend or other connected person who is looking after a child that cannot safely live with their parents. Sometimes kinship carers are known as family and friends carers.

There are different types of kinship care arrangement. The practical and financial support available to kinship carers and the children they raise varies. This is because what is available depends on what type of kinship care arrangement is in place. This means that it is very important that anyone who may become a kinship carer, gets independent legal advice.

If children’s services are involved in arranging for a child to live with a kinship carer, then:

  • The child is likely to be a looked after child, and
  • The type of kinship arrangement is likely to be  kinship foster care.

If children’s services are not involved, then it is likely that the kinship care arrangement is a ‘private family arrangement’. In some cases, a kinship carer applies for a child arrangements order saying the child should with them. Or, they may apply for a special guardianship order.

For more information see our advice pages about the different types of kinship care arrangement and the support available:

Kinship carer

Our funding means we can currently only help 1 in 3 people

Your donation will help more families access expert legal advice and support from Family Rights Group.

Donate Now